Fitbit has announced an upgrade to last year’s Alta fitness tracker the Fitbit Alta HR. The updated fitness tracker comes with heart rate monitoring.
Fitbit Alta HR is a slim wrist-based that comes with continuous heart rate tracking and a more compact form of PurePulse heart rate technology, otherwise found in Fitbit’s larger devices.
Some of the features included in the Fitbit Alta HR are:
- Sleep Stages utilizes heart rate variability to estimate the amount of time you spend in light, deep and REM sleep, as well as time awake each night to better understand your sleep quality.
- Sleep Insights uses the whole of your Fitbit data to provide personalized guidance on how to improve your sleep for better overall health
Like the original Alta, Alta HR comes with interchangeable straps, while the older straps are also compatible with the new fitness band. Fitbit Alta HR is only 15mm wide and is one of the slimmest fitness trackers on the market with heart rate monitoring.
Fitbit is also introducing two dynamic sleep tools – Sleep Stages and Sleep Insights – that provide deeper insight into your sleep quality and guidance on how to improve, building on its popular sleep features that have empowered millions of people to track their sleep since 2012. Along with diet and exercise, sleep is a key factor in overall health, but most people have very little insight into it. Good sleep plays a critical role in your health and overall wellbeing, from protecting against cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity, to boosting neurocognitive functions, mental health and longevity.
Sleep Stages, powered by PurePulse, uses accelerometer data and heart rate variability (the changes in time between beats), plus Fitbit’s proven algorithms to more accurately estimate how long you spend in light, deep and REM sleep stages, as well as time awake, each night:
- Light Sleep (including sleep stages N1 and N2) occurs throughout the night and is important for memory, learning and letting your body recover from the day; for most people that’s 50-60% of your night.
- Deep Sleep (sleep stage N3) promotes a healthy immune system and muscle growth and repair; for most people that’s 10-25% of your night (depending on your age).
- REM Sleep is when most dreaming occurs and is important for mental recovery and memory formation; for most people that’s 20-25% of your night. Most REM sleep comes at the end of the night, and is often the stage to be cut short when your sleep duration decreases.
- Awake periods (between 10-30 times) are a normal part of your sleep cycle each night.
Everyone’s sleep cycle is different, but by better knowing your sleep quality and patterns, and realizing the impact they have on your day, you can make lifestyle changes that can help improve your sleep over time – such as diet, exercise, winding down before bed and keeping a consistent sleep schedule. For example, if you wake up feeling exhausted each morning, despite seemingly getting enough sleep, you may not be getting sufficient deep.
Tracking sleep patterns could also help identify variations that can be indicative of other issues. For example, it has been shown that irregularities in sleep patterns could be a sign of a sleep condition that should be discussed with a doctor
“From helping maintain a healthy immune system, to preserving your cognitive functions and managing a healthy weight, your sleep – or lack of – plays a critical role,” said Dr. Allison Siebern, Stanford University and Fitbit Advisory Panel Sleep Expert. “Fitbit’s new sleep features use a scientific-based approach to show your sleep patterns over time, and provide you with validated, actionable guidance to help you make changes in your daily routine to achieve greater quality sleep – and in turn improve your overall health. Given the comfort and accessibility of this product, it’s one of the most valuable and useful sleep tracking solutions available to consumers outside of a sleep lab.”
Pricing & Availability
Alta HR is available for pre-order today on Amazon.in for INR 14,999 from 15 to 31 March 2017. From 01 to 15 April 2017, Alta HR will be available exclusively on Amazon.in and from 16 April 2017 onwards across major India retailers including Reliance Digital, Croma, Helios, Jumbo and Vijay Sales retail stores
- Special Edition Alta HR (in Gun Metal and Rose Gold), INR 16,999
- Classic fitness bands, INR 2,999 ; Luxe Leather bands, INR 5,999; and Luxe Metal Bracelet, INR 9,999.
Sleep Stages and Sleep Insights will be available globally in Spring 2017:
- Sleep Stages will work with Alta HR, Blaze and Charge 2 devices via the Fitbit app on Android, iOS and Windows, and on Fitbit.com in the online dashboard.
- Sleep Insights will be available with all Fitbit devices that track sleep via the Fitbit app.
Stay updated with the latest Tech News
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.